Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day weekend!

So I just wanted to post about my amazing/fun/awesome weekend! No, I didn't go to the beach or the mountains.. I went to Durham! haha. Let me explain! Here's the preface.. I love fashion photography. And now the story... About a month ago I answered a listing looking for a photography assistant to help a New York fashion photographer do a shoot at the Duke campus in Durham. It sounded right up my alley, and I was stoked when the photographer said he would love to have me on the crew! I knew I wouldn't be doing anything as glamorous as taking pictures, and would probably just be doing some grunt work, but hey... it's a learning experience... anything to get my feet wet in that industry. The photographer was Stephen Hurst, and he was amazing to work for. He let me ask questions, view the images he was taking, and taught me some about lighting techniques, and posing! It was almost like going to a seminar with a great photographer, except getting paid for it! We did three days of shooting for a new collegiate apparel collection. But these weren't the boring old things you usually see! They had some basics but also some really fun street wear and even some couture-ish dresses made from recycled tshirts! They were pretty sweet! The whole crew was really great to work with, and I enjoyed the whole process. But, it was HARD work! I think I got my workouts for the month in! We did everything from catalog shots to editorials and advertising. We shot in Duke Gardens, a dorm room, a frat party, a bridge, and the library. It was crazy! I think the final product will be amazing and I can't wait to see it. Although it was really demanding work, I am sad it's over! I hope to do something like that again soon! Anyway, I'm pumped and I can't wait to try out some of what I learned!

The Crew...including 3 of the nicest New Yorkers I've met (who loved my "southern" accent. haha)

No comments: