Saturday, January 16, 2010

No People Post.

So lately I have been a little nostalgic for my days as a photo student. When photography was not about a client, or pleasing anyone but myself (and maybe my professor). I don't get very many opportunities anymore to just shoot for me. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do and feel really blessed to be able to do it, but photography is more than that to me. I miss film and dark rooms, enlargers and smelling like chemicals, and watching images appear on paper in a dimly lit room. There was something so satisfying about knowing that you were truly creating an image. And I want to go back to that time with all that I know now, because 1) I could be such a better student, and 2) I wouldn't take any of it for granted! And I would take advantage of every opportunity that being a student gives you. Maybe one day I'll get to do that again. I didn't make a list of resolutions this year, but I hope that in 2010 I can carve out regular time to just create images for me. I culled through some old folders from this past year looking for images that weren't taken for any specific purpose. I didn't find too many (which reiterates my point!). But here are just a few that I did find. I'm not saying that they are great or magical, I'm just saying I like them. Mostly for personal reasons, but I like them.

My favorite time of year in my favorite place.

I shot these three after a very frustrating day...


Don't you feel more relaxed now? I did:-D

Hummingbirds in my grandparent's backyard.


It's abandoned, so of course I like it.

The cemetery at Andersonville.

My grandfather's "Little House". I don't think I had ever been in it except to take this picture. It holds a lifetime of projects and treasures. This is a portrait of my grandfather, without him in it. Why the water in the OceanSpray bottles you ask? I don't know, but that just makes me love this picture and him more.


My favorite thing at the State Fair.

I also miss experimenting.


Thanks for putting up with that. haha. Just felt like sharing.

5 comments:

Zack said...

I love 'em.

Especially the in-color beach post.

Did you have any kind of filter on the lens?

the.indie.image said...

Thanks Zack. Nope, no filters, but I was using multiple exposures and a tripod:-D

Type A Images said...

These are amazing. I follow your blog and I have to say I love your take on everyday items.

Raycroft Art said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raycroft Art said...

ALL so very cool... Love the last image... keep up the great work!